Beauty Basics - What are these brushes for? - Part 3: Eye & Lip Brushes

June 26, 2015


When you are new to makeup all the different brushes can be confusing. There are just so many. When my cousin started getting for into makeup she bought a brush set and text me a video of them asking what they were all for. 

There are so many different brushes intended for different things. Of course you don’t have to use the brushes for what they are intended. I don’t always use them for the intended purpose. I use them for what I think is best for me, and what brush applies the products they way I want.

There are so many different brushes. Some brushes have the same name but are different sizes and slightly different shapes. It can all get a bit confusing.

There are so many different makeup brushes, I will most likely miss a few, but I think I’ll get the majority.

I will be doing this in three parts, Face Base, Cheeks and Eyes & Lips. This is the Eyes & Lips post. I decided to throw eyes & lips together because there aren’t enough lip brushes for their own post. This post is going to cover the brushes that are typically used for applying eye shadow, and other eye products, and brushes typically used for applying lip products.

All of these brushes can be used wet or dry, with liquids and powders. All of these brushes are used with eye products to create awesome eyeshadow looks. They are intended for the same use so what I’m going to do in this post is describe what these brushes look like and list the main thing they are intended for.


  Eyes:
  • Shader Brush
  • Blending Shadow Brush
  • Crease Brush
  • Smudging Brush
  • Angled Brush
  • Eyebrow Brush
  • Spoolie Brush
  • Detail Brush
  • Eyebrow Grooming Brush


  Lips:
  • Lip Brush
  • Detailer Brush





Eyes:



Eye Shader Brush

Eye shader brushes are the brush you think of when someone says eyeshadow brush. It’s flat but fluffy. It’s round on the top and comes in many sizes. I prefer the smaller/smallest ones for my eyeshadow. I use the bigger ones for my highlighter and bronzer on my nose.



Blending Shadow Brush
A blending shadow brush is a small rounded fluffy brush. They are typically about the size of the tip of your pinky to the first place it bends. I love these brushes!






Crease Brush
This shadow brush is designed to fit in the crease of your eye. Typically it is a skinny where it comes out of the handle and comes out and gets a little bigger and rounds at the top. Crease brushes are fluffy so they can apply and blend shadows in the crease. I love these shadow brushes.





Smudging Brush
A smudging brush is a small flat tightly packed rounded brush. It is typically used t smudge eyeliner. There are some sponge smudging brushes. They are small little round sponges. I prefer the normal brush ones.





Angled Brush
Angled Brushes are also known eyeliner brushes. They are thin flat brushes with a square shape and the top is cut at an angle. They are typically used for applying gel and pot liquid liner. They are also used for applying eyeshadow as liner. You can also use them for eyebrow products. I use them for all three.





Eyebrow Brush
An eyebrow is a thicker angled brush. They are exactly the same but the brow brush is thicker so it can apply more product so you can do your brows quicker. If you are worried about over filling your brows use a angled liner brush until you get used to doing your brows.





Spoolie Brush
A spoolie brush is a mascara wand without the mascara. It’s meant to be used for your brows but I prefer to run the brush through my lashes after my shower while my lashes are wet. I also like to run a spoolie through my lashes after applying eyeshadow to get all of the shadow fallout out of my lashes. I also run a spoolie through my lashes before I curl them shadow or no shadow.





Detailer Brush
This is the same detailer brush from the face base post. It is great for underline and corner shadow.





Eyebrow Grooming Brush
An eyebrow grooming brush is that brush with a two sided head, a comb on one side and a brush like a hair brush on the other side.






Lips:




Lip Brush
Lip brushes are typically fluffy lightly packed circle brushes that come up to a rounded point. They are used for applying for all types of lip products. Anything that doesn’t have its own way of applying or lip products you need more control over.





Detailer Brush
Same detailer brush. They size is great for applying lip products.






So that’s it for brushes. I think I got all of them. I hope you all enjoyed this miniseries. There are two other posts on makeup brushes.




This post is also a post in my Beauty Basics series. In this series I break down the basics of beauty things for makeup newbies. I’m not a makeup vet but I’m not a beginner anymore either. You can find my last Beauty Basics post before this miniseries here. It’s a beauty brands guide. I lay out what brands are drug store and what brands are high-end.

If you have any questions or concerns feel free to message me. If you liked this post or topic let me know in the comments below. Much Love!





Disclaimer: I AM NOT a professional makeup artist. You could say I am a self taught makeup artist as I have taught myself a lot through trial and error and playing with makeup. I have researched a lot of things on makeup over the past few years. I’m not claiming to know everything but I think I’ve got the basics down and want to make learning them easier for anyone just starting to get into makeup. I am not a newbie anymore but I’m not makeup vet either. 

Photo Credit: Cover Photo - Background from Make it Create and edited by me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to the comments! I love reading comments and replying to you all! I love chatting with you all! So please leave me a comment and let’s chat!

Make sure you tick the box to get emails so you know when I reply!

**All comments are now published right away but are still moderated. Spam and rude comments will be deleted right away. Full list of comment rules can be found on the disclaimer page.**

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...